It is estimated that over 2 Million people in Australia suffer from Fungal toe nails!
Fungal toenails often referred to as “nail rot”, podiatrists and dermatologists describe theses nails as discoloured, often thick and brittle appearing yellow, brown and even black. The nail frequently has a foul odour smell similar to blue cheese.
Conventional treatments are expensive but often ineffective topical tinctures often requiring daily and often twice daily applications and regular filing or requiring prescriptions for oral medications which not only taken over a long term they can often have significant side effect for many people and in combination with many other medications.
Laser therapy is the latest development in treatment for fungal nails. Laser therapy is safe, effective and convenient and an sensible alternative to other pharmaceutical and topical treatments.
Laser therapy treatment for fungal toe nails
Laser therapy provides a safe treatment by having some heat on the skin, nail, and nail bed. Yes, Laser therapy is TGA approved.
- We recommend attending for a general treatment where all nails are cut and filed/burred to remove as much of the fungal spores prior to the medical laser treatment (approx 45mins) consult.
- All nails are treated at the time of laser to kill the fungus.
- Usually requires 2-5 treatments are required depending on the severity and diligence of at home implementation of cleaning of shoes, socks, bedding etc.
- Please bring sandals, thongs or clean shoes and clean socks to wear home. An information of after care will be provided at this consultation and is recommended to enhance the Laser treatment and the nail recovery.
- Recommended in 2-3 weeks. At this appointment all nails will be cut and filed/burred again and our podiatrists will recommend if further treatment is needed.
- If another laser treatment is advised, depending on the amount of nails affected, you may either have the laser at this time or you will need to return within a week for the laser treatment.
- 2nd or 3rd laser treatments are often shorter and involve only treating the effected nails
Does the treatment hurt?
Most people feel little to no pain or discomfort during the treatment although there is some heat. However, some people feel a warm tingling sensation. The laser has the ability to be adjusted to accommodate individual pain thresholds as to ensure your comfort during the treatment. The laser provides one of the safest and most effective treatments in the medicine, and our gigga laser has TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) approval.
Will this treatment be covered by my health insurance?
Unfortunately, private health insurers nor medicare give rebates as they deem this form of therapy as cosmedic and are yet to give rebates when it comes to laser therapy for fungal nail
How soon will you see improvement?
On average, a toenail will replace itself every 6-9 months. Healthy new growth will be visible after 4-6 months as your nails continue to grow following the laser treatment.
Does Laser therapy work?
Medical grade lasers for fungal toenail infections have 80-85% success in patients who are compliant with instructions and precautions given for when you return to your daily life.
How long before I can return back to normal activity?
You may return to your normal daily routine immediately after your toenail treatment.